How to Write a Critical Evaluation Essay [Index] I: ..
How to Write an Evaluation Essay
This exercise is intended to help you prepare to write your paper. As you answer these questions, you will generating ideas that you can use for your paper.
1. What is the topic (subject) you are going to evaluate? Do a short description of it in a list or paragraph.
2. What category is your topic? Be as specific and narrow as possible.
3. Who might be interested in this? This is your audience for the paper.
4. What does this audience already know? What do they want or expect from this thing? (This can help you develop criteria)
5. What criteria can you use for evaluating your topic? (Think of what is most important, or what can be either good or bad, or what parts there are of your topic)
6. What did you expect before you experienced your topic? How did your experience either fulfill or reverse your expectations?
7. In your evaluation of your topic, what is good?
8. In your evaluation of your topic, what is not as good?
9. What is the best example of something in your topic? (Or what other things can you use to compare your topic with?). How does your topic compare to the best of this sort of thing?
10. If I had to put my evaluation in a single sentence, I would say:
11. Look at “How to Write and Evaluation Essay” Organization Strategies. Which of these will you use? Explain how you will use it.
12. Introduction/Conclusion ideas: Which of these will work best for you?
Introduction/conclusion ideas: frame story, scenario, expectations unfulfilled, conversation, vivid scene, statistics and evidence, describe social context or historical period, describe popular trend for subject, define the genre, personal story, quote from someone (often someone who disagrees with you), analogy, compare and contrast.
13. How will you use this introduction and conclusion idea in your essay?
14. Now write a brief outline of your paper (on another sheet of paper).
How to Write an Evaluation Essay | Best Essay Guide
Writing an evaluation essay is like filling out a survey form to rate something. It is a way of finding out how you feel about a certain issue, in the same manner as writing about your point of view on a particular topic. And a sustaining evidence is always necessary to maintain your standpoint. So, to learn how to write an evaluation essay, just follow the above steps.